We are owned by the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, and our framework conditions are determined by the Norwegian parliament.
On behalf of the Norwegian state, we administer pension entitlements of 570 billion Norwegian kroner for 1.300 organisations and 1.097.000 former and existing employees in the public sector, schools, research institutions, pharmacy businesses and organisations.
Who is a member?
Membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is obligatory for government employees.
Other organisations in the public sector, for example state owned companies, may choose to join the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. The employees of those that join become members of the Fund.
People who were previously employed for more than three years in a company that provides occupational pension from the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund retain their accumulated pension entitlements – so called deferred pension.
What benefits does membership give?
All members pay two percent of their salary as a pension contribution each month. For every krone that you pay, your employer pays between five and six kroner. The total sum contributes to your pension and to your other member benefits.
Our history can be traced back to 1814, when our predecessor was established under the name "Den almindelige norske enkekasse". In 1917 the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund was established, and from 1 January 2001 it was set up as a management company.
Innovative IT and change management project
In 1957 we were among the first in Norway to introduce the punched card system. In connection with the pension reform, we established the Perform project – one of the largest IT and change management projects in the public sector.
Throughout our existence, we have created new solutions in order to meet changing needs. Our most important task is to ensure on-time and correct pension payments and invoicing – irrespective of the changes experienced by society.
- 1.097.000 members and former members across 1.316 organisations
- Approx 308.000 receive pension
- Some may receive several pensions concurrently
- 298.000 of the 1.097.000 members are completely or partially fit for work.
- 491.000 no longer work in an organisation affiliated with SPK, but have accrued pension entitlements in the Fund – so called deferred pension.
- Our members and former members have total accrued pension entitlements in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund of 584 billion kroner.
- We paid out 29,9 billion kroner in pension in 2020 to 308.000 pensioners.
Number of employees
The Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund has around 400 employees.